Our hope is that O’Brien House will become one of our Confederation Pavilions during Canada’s 150th anniversary celebrations in 2017. The intent is to develop an exhibit space featuring elements from the Crown Collection.
O'Brien House is located on Meech Lake, in the heart of Gatineau Park, and was acquired by the NCC in 1964. The building received Federal Heritage Buildings Review Office (FHBRO) designation in 1984.
In 1930, the house was built to plans drawn by architect W.E. Noffke for Ottawa businessman Ambrose O’Brien. Mr. O’Brien played a significant role in local and national affairs, including the founding of what would eventually become the National Hockey League (NHL).
Today, the character-defining heritage elements are the two-and-one-half storeys with a hipped roof, sided in shingles and faux logs, and indigenous stone, giving the house a rustic look.